Notifications

Twitter Rant  

RSS
Jahmya Moody
(@jahmya-moody)

Today, many use social media to get the latest news, gossip, and speak their mind. While freedom of speech is important in today's world, sometimes we tend to speak too freely, especially on social media. This occurs on a specific social media site: Twitter. As a Twitter user, I can say that I've seen people cancel celebrities faster than Netflix cancels shows.

For example, Billie Eilish and Finneas were interviewed by Variety back in December 2019. During the interview, the iconic meat dress worn by Lady Gaga back 2010 came up. Eilish made some faces symbolizing disgust and even said "Yiiiikessss." Naturally, LG fans AKA Little Monsters took this personally and started #BillieEilishIsOverParty on Twitter. Some went as far as calling Billie a 'rat,' 'hoe,' and even 'homophobic.' How homophobia has anything to do with a dress made of meat; I have no freaking clue 🙄. This is just one of the many examples of when Twitter drags and attempts to 'cancel' celebrities over petty stuff. 

When it comes to the cancel culture, Twitter is the number one site for it. It usually occurs when a person (normally a celebrity) does or says something questionable. Whether it's criticizing another celebrity's taste in fashion or saying something that voices their beliefs. It seems like no one is safe from the cancel culture. It is this very culture that should make you question if social media is a safe environment for people, specifically youths.

Jahmya Moody

Posted : 17/03/2020 9:22 pm
Share: